Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reading For Our Health

Sometimes when I come home from work I turn on “Oprah”. And, sometimes it is interesting, especially when her guest is Dr. Mehmet C. Oz. I have found watching and listening to him to be very informative. They spoke about his book a few times and I love reading books about the body, how it works and how to make it work better. So I read his book, “YOU The Owner’s Manual.” It is written by Dr. Oz, who is professor of surgery at Columbia Medical Center and director of The Heart Institute at NY Presbyterian, and Dr. Michael Roiszen, a well known professor of medicine at SUNY Upstate and the author of “RealAge”. He has founded a program aimed at helping people reverse biologic aging and live longer, more vibrant lives.

“YOU The Owner’s Manual” is written in the lay man’s vernacular with a lot of humor and anecdotes. I found the chapter about the heart and its arteries to be very straightforward and informative. There is a chapter on the brain, the bones/joints, the lungs, the digestive system, sexual organs, the immune system, hormones, and cancer, as well as a basic diet and some healthy recipes.

Some of the information in this book is common knowledge, but I always enjoy reading books like this because I usually learn some things that I can incorporate into my life that, hopefully, will enhance my health and delay the aging process!

No comments:

Post a Comment